ShortTail is an elegant, easy-to-use YOURLS client that talks to your server through an integrated API to shorten web links using your branded domain.
UPDATE: March 2016
While the app is no longer available in the App Store, I have decided to open source the code under the MIT License. Please direct all comments, issues, and pull requests to the project on GitHub.
- Shorten URLS using your branded URL and a YOURLS installation on your active domain
- View statistics for previously shortened URLs
- Easily share your links without leaving the app!
- Works with public AND private YOURLS installations!
- Shorten extension for use inside apps and in Safari on the web
- Easy-to-use custom URL structure to send links directly to ShortTail
- Convenient mobile Safari bookmarklet
- Pick your flavor
First, simply type or paste the original URL in the 'Enter Long URL' field (happens automatically if you first copy the link outside of ShortTail)
Next, enter an optional keyword and title to use for the link. Remember - keep your keywords short with no spaces or punctuation.
All set? Click the ShortTail button. That's it! 🎉
Why Provide a Keyword?
Specifying a keyword allows you to create a specific short URL, making it easy for your users to remember the link. Otherwise, YOURLS will create a randomly generated keyword for you.
Why Provide a Title?
Specifying a title customizes the default text when sharing the shortened URL. If no title is specified, YOURLS will grab the URL's page title attribute.
To quickly share or copy the short URL of a link you have already shortened, press and hold a row in the Statistics view, and then select your desired action in the pop-up menu.
Easily shorten URLs inside apps or in Safari on the web!
- Press the action/share button in an app or in Safari
- If the ShortTail icon does not appear, click 'More' and turn on the ShortTail extension
- Press the ShortTail icon
- Optionally enter in a custom keyword
- Press Shorten - that's it!
The link is shortened and the shortened URL is automatically copied to your clipboard for pasting into a message, email, or even a social network post!
Install an easy-to-use bookmarklet in mobile Safari on your iOS device.
- Then, in mobile Safari, visit adamdehaven.com and create a new bookmark.
- Open your Safari bookmarks. Tap "Edit" and select the bookmark you just made.
- Next, edit and change the Name of the bookmark to "ShortTail" 🎉
To use the bookmarklet when viewing a webpage in Safari that you'd like to send to ShortTail, simply open your bookmarks, and tap your newly created bookmarklet. This will open ShortTail and automagically paste in the complete URL.
Do you have questions? Would you like to contribute? Something else? Feel free to fork the project, open an issue, or submit a pull request.
Not into looking at code? No worries. Reach out on Twitter @adamdehaven
YOURLS stands for Your Own URL Shortener, and allows you to run your own URL shortening service (a la TinyURL or bitly).
Running your own URL shortener is fun, geeky and useful: you own your data and don't depend on third-party services. It's also a great way to add branding to your short URLs, instead of using the same public URL shortener everyone uses.
Features of YOURLS include:
- Free and Open Source software.
- Private (your links only) or Public (everybody can create short links, fine for an intranet).
- Sequential or custom URL keyword.
- Awesome stats: historical click reports, referrers tracking, visitors geo-location.
- Terrific Plugin architecture to easily implement new features.
- Cool developer API
- Friendly installer.
- Sample files to create your own public interface, and more!
YOURLs is available at yourls.org